

AGA Board Meeting Minutes  
10/15/2017

Present:

Martin Lebl

Chris Kirschner

Gurujeet Khalsa

Lisa Scott

Edward Zhang

Samantha Fede (secretary)

Andy Okun (president)

Steve Colburn

Andrew Jackson

Dave Weimer [director of 2019 congress]

Meeting called to order at 8:07pm EDT

Minutes from September 2017 approved, no objections.

**2019 Go Congress discussion:**

Dave Weimer is a guest to discuss the details of the contract in Madison for 2019 Go Congress

Lisa Scott: The contract was sent out to the board. We need to specify what facilities will be provided. Since it doesn't specify the rooming, we do that separately and are under no obligation to take it if the rates are unreasonable. We're not agreeing to pay for that sort of thing yet. The dinner quote was identified a \$12-15/person. Any questions or concerns based on the contract?

Martin: This contract just guarantees us the spot, and requires a non-refundable deposit. We still need to fill out the details.

Lisa: All we're obligated out of pocket is the \$5000, we have no other obligations. Last year, we were obligated to pay a lot of money even if no one showed up.

Andy: It seems we're putting a lot of financial risk on the line every year, so this is somewhat better. It's not really a contract, as far as I'm concerned, because the details aren't worked out.

Dave: Since conference services and dorms are separate, they could also contract out to hotels and with other food services etc. Conference services will negotiate on our behalf.

Chris: This concerns me, to rely on others to negotiate for us. Since they won't set prices, they might raise them exponentially.

Lisa: In my experiences with US Go Congress, we don't get locked in prices more than 1 years in advance.

Chris: Why can't we get contracts for the other services now to lock in our prices? If dorms and food are too expensive, how can we ask people to do that?

Dave: This is standard for this conference facility. We are unable to negotiate directly with the dorms, we would expect quoted prices to be 3-5% lower than in two years. But this is a state university, not a for-profit situation.

Gurujeet: What's the worst case scenario risk?

Lisa: \$5000. Nothing else.

Dave: I'm going to ask that the space/facilities be specifically written into the contract.

Chris: That is another major concern of mine.

Dave: That is my understanding and if that isn't the case, we need to revisit if we want to go forward with the contract.

Chris: What about AV?

Lisa: That isn't included, we can bring in outside things or contract with them. The details are in the notes on pricing. We can use them or not if we're happy with the pricing.

Chris: That's normally in the contract. They normally tell us the prices in the contract.

Lisa: It's nailed down on a separate sheet. It's not usually specified in the contract.

[cross talk]

Martin: When would we have locked in prices? Is it a year out, so that we can go with other options if it's unacceptable?

Dave: The dorm prices will start to be locked in Winter 2018 (6 months). Note, I'm a tenured faculty member here, and this conference is through Political Science / East Asian Studies. AGA is essentially the finance provider. I can make things difficult for conference services if they try to do anything wrong.

Gurujeet: I'm okay with going forward and signing it.

Edward: Can we get information about the residences? Is there a hotel nearby too?

Dave: There are 2 dorms, 5-7 min walk away. There are stores (coffee, food) on the way. The price information we provided will probably go up 3-5%. They are bathroom-hall dorms (traditional), but with AC and mini fridges. Breakfast included, and dinner can be included if we want. Lunch would be catered if we want to do that, but there are many places that provide food (student union type things and restaurants).

Chris: That does seem like an ideal situation in terms of food.

Dave: There are also hotels in walking distance and a nearby university with nicer dorms (hotel style) that are more expensive that could be available to pros or to participants. \$102/night.

Edward: The notes for the dorms say for singles, \$62/night. Even going up some, it seems okay. Another thing is about paying prizes?

Lisa: Due to the taxes and financials, the management services can't pay out prize checks because we don't have the names in advance. We can pay these things out after we finish with them, but it takes a month for them to cut the checks, basically.

Edward: The Go Bucks for books is okay then, it's just the big tournament prizes.

Lisa: Yes, it's just about \$3000 that the AGA will have to float until we get the money out of the conference (1-2 months)

Gurujeet: At princeton, there was an issue with student groups giving cash prizes. We need to make sure that's okay.

Lisa: Yes, I told her what we typically do, and she seemed fine with things.

Andy: If the AGA needs to, it can directly award the prizes from the AGA accounts, since Congress is really a subset of the AGA anyway. As long as it's okay for the tournament itself to occur. Are they going to insist all money go through them?

Lisa: Yes, that's fine. The money from the website goes through them (registration etc), but we can pay people directly from our accounts (although they do discourage that).

Dave: It's just a tax issue.

Martin: My understanding of the project is that we will have to float the money for about 1-2 months, but since it's not that much money, it should be doable.

Chris: It sounds like Andy is willing to work with us one way or another to make the prizes happen, so that sounds okay.

Lisa: They will give us the accounting in 1-2 months.

Chris: We usually have some discrepancy between their accounting and ours, so we will need the information to make sure that it's correct [In past years, it was around \$5000 or more]. Are they going to be collecting information like people's ranks and genders?

Dave: Yes they can if we specify it.

Martin: And the clarifications mentioned in the email will be added to the contract? Regarding the facilities etc.

Lisa/Dave: Yes

Martin: Any other concerns? [None] I motion to sign contract with UW-M with minor changes. Approvals--- Unanimous. Motion carries.

Note: Chris agrees with reservations, having voted affirmatively due to confidence in Dave Weimer running it.

We thank Dave for being on the call and Dave/Lisa for working on this.

[Dave leaves call]

### **President's Report**

Nothing specific to report.

### **Danny Ko as Treasurer**

Andy puts forward Danny Ko as AGA Treasurer for a two year term.

Gurujeet: Is Danny doing it all or is there still going to be a dual position?

Andy: He will have the whole treasurer job (trained by Roy) but we can get outside consulting and tax help.

Martin: Looking at his resume, he's doing similar things professionally, and maybe we can contract it out for a few years, and he can learn from them and then do it himself.

Andy: Yes, he's handled this sort of thing before, but I'm offering contracting out due to it being a new form for him and because he's especially busy during that season.

Gurujeet: Bob Gilman as Chapter Coordinator is talking to chapters about unused money, and will need checks cut-- that will also be Danny Ko.

Chris moves to approve Danny Ko as treasurer, seconded. Unanimous, motion carries.

### **State Championship**

Chris sent out invitation to chapter leaders to comment on proposal today 10/15/2017. [cross talk]. Lisa forwards this to the board now.

Summary: 1- Overview of system, 2- Standards for electing state coordinators, 3- Application forms and regulations for organizing tournaments. Changes will be made based on chapter input. The system will be controlled by the AGA, although the design has been done democratically.

Martin: Minor point- There's a typo in one of the file names. Has the membership at large been notified to give input to their chapters if desired?

Chris: Our plan is to do that, but we want the chapter leaders to respond first.

Lisa: Why are championship coordinators elected from the state?

Chris: We don't want more than one chapter to think they're running the state championship, and we don't one large chapter to dominate the state. Regardless of size, we want chapters to cooperate and have a say. This is the same voting system as for AGA elections

Lisa: This is in favor of small clubs, but this can be addressed later if there are problems.

Gurujeet: Did we make a decision on residency requirements?

Chris: We want to hear from the states on how they feel about that. We do not want people to be able to obtain multiple state championships.

[cross talk about residencies, already discussed in previous meetings]

Gurujeet: What about the DC area? It's a major tri state area and we agreed at go congress that it should be considered a "state" for this purpose.

Lisa: What about combined tournaments, where the top champion from each state is awarded the title?

Chris: That seems fine, with one person elected for the region, if it's agreed upon in advance. But, I think logistically that is challenging.

Edward: Or maybe a second small match for the state top players.

Chris: These are administrative issues, that we don't want to be too specific about in case it gets in the way of the tournaments happening.

[cross-talk]

Lisa: Any related actions we should take?

Chris: This is just an update/report. We are hoping that this system can be implemented for electing coordinators by Jan/Feb 2018, and hopefully we have 12+ state championships in 2018, although we don't expect 100% participation.

Martin: Incentive-- could print on badges at Congress if they're the state champions.

Chris: There is an input line at registration for "Roll" e.g. AGA president, but could be used for state champion

[general agreement]

[Paul Ohmart is taking the lead to plan and run this as state coordinator, Chris/Jeff involved. Edward and Justin Teng would like to be involved]

Chris: My impression is that Edward was busy with other things, since he hasn't been involved this year. We've moved forward with it.

Edward: Regarding the state system, can we talk about chapter motivation? Can we give them financial support?

Gurujeet: Only if it's in support of promoting go. Specifically, members playing rated games and for AGA memberships. We might have to change guidelines. We couldn't use these points generally to fund 50 state championships. If we want to create that funding mechanism we should institute it.

Martin: I think that might be consistent.

Edward: Is there a presidential discretionary fund for chapter points? I think this will be easier to implement if we provide motivation.

Gurujeet: There is, but it may not be able to be used for this. See earlier comment.

### **Ranking system**

Chris sent out FAQ regarding ranking system to the board and relevant technical parties for feedback. It will be added to as this becomes more public but currently answers questions raised at congress.

Chris: Are there any additional questions that people here have?

Gurujeet: Did you send it to James Pinkerton, who had some major objections? I'd be interested in his thoughts.

Chris: We talked at congress. I invited him to participate but I haven't heard since.

Gurujeet: I think we should solicit and listen to his thoughts as we go forward.

Martin: I think we should add something about why we're talking about 6 games versus 5, what gives one or the other more confidence.

Chris: We want it to be as low as possible because people don't necessarily have opportunities to play frequently. But this is based on data showing rank stability at 6 games in particular.

[discussion of concerns, which have been described in previous meeting minutes]

[Andrew Jackson joins call]

Chris: Andrew and Jan have been in communication about the technical side of things, they estimate 40-60 hours of programming work.

Andrew Jackson: I'm surprised to hear this, I may be a little out of the loop. I think some of that time estimate is based on somewhat optional work. But, if there's any help you need with the load I can work on it some.

Chris: Jan estimates a month or two based on a few hours each day. This doesn't require any board action. Andrew, are you okay with the FAQ?

Andrew: Yes, but I don't think this information is being provided to as many people as possible. I think we need a document that is less confrontational and more publically available. I can help with the revisions if you'd like.

**Action Item for Chris:** Send copy of FAQ to James Pinkerton for feedback, Andrew can connect you if required.

Martin: Any other concerns? [None]

### **Financial Report for Congress 2017**

Andy: We don't have the final number yet, but the final bill is looking good, but we're going to have a healthy surplus.

[References bill]

Andrew: Why did we miss the estimate so much? If registration were \$100 cheaper, it might have meant a lot for some people.

Lisa: We got a discount because we booked more rooms than expected, but yeah, I'd like the estimate to be closer to the final number.

Martin: We used to aim for a bigger margin, and we were aiming closer in more recent years, but to avoid being in a deficit we've been trying for conservative estimates to be safe.

Andy: It wasn't clear that San Diego was going to get a big non-player interest. The next two years should be better on the budget, because they're cheaper locations (Virginia and Wisconsin).

### **Post Agendas In Advance**

Allows people in the membership and for us to identify things in advance. Steve and Martin discussing putting the agenda on the website. Thoughts?

Lisa: I think the e-journal is better.

Martin: I think having it in both places is great, so that there can also be permanent storage of it.

Lisa: We should also send out general summary of the meetings to the e-journal.

**Action Item:** Samantha will draft executive summaries of board meeting, to be revised by the board within 24 hours, and will be sent to the E-Journal as soon as possible after that time.

Chris motions to post agendas publically, Lisa seconds. Unanimous approval.

### **Late Item from Andrew Jackson**

Deep Mind will do a Q&A online on Reddit Wednesday about their work on Go, so heads up to the board to check it out. We don't really know exactly what it'll be about specifically but should be aware of it in case someone contacts the board to ask questions.

Meeting already set for the next few months:

11/12/17

12/10/17

Discuss January meeting date at November meeting

Andrew moves to adjourn, Lisa seconds, unanimous, adjourns at 9:49 EDT.